Are you searching for the best gravity based water purifier in India then your search ends here.
If a quiz question was casually asked about what caused the most number of deaths in India, what would be your answer? Is it some kind of disease? Or the latest virus? Like Covid-19? Or would you cite poverty? Turns out, its water- the liquid essential to our lives that can be fatal for countless Indians. According to a Times of India reported that almost 36000 Indians contract water-borne diseases per day. Hence, drinking purified water is as essential as saving a life.
Here's how a quality gravity based water purifier can be the magic solution. With advanced ultrafiltration technology and micro organisms-killing kit packed in a compact size, these appliances will purify the water and increase the quality by improving the taste of water. The price range is also affordable for middle-class families.
List of Best Gravity Based Water Purifier in India
[table id=2 responsive=scroll /]
Best 9 Gravity Based Water Purifier Reviews in 2020
Find the reviews of the 9 best non electric water purifier available on amazon. We carried out this review with very extensive research. We are sure this article will certainly help you find the best non electric water purifier for your home.
1. Tata Swach Non-Electric Smart 15-Litre Gravity-Based Fresh Green Water Purifier
The new non-electric water purifier provides you with clean and uncontaminated drinking water also combining easy usage, innovative purification technology and value for money.
This purifier comes with non-breakable and scratch-resistant plastic material along with a translucent body, which makes the water level easily visible to you. It’s very durable.
The ingenious activated carbon purification technology soaks up all the contaminating elements in the water. Then the UltraFiltration membrane filters the already filtered water once more to make it entirely safe for drinking and other usages. It also has silver nanotechnology that removes harmful virus and bacteria (kills 100 crore bacteria and around 1 crore viruses from 1 Litre of water) according to the USEPA guidelines.
Both the upper and the lower chamber has 7.5 Litres capacity which adds up to a total of 15 Litres, making room for enough clean water. The bulb can filter up to 1500 Liters of water.
No iodine, bromine and chlorine are used. So you’ll be having water completely free of synthetic chemicals.
- Color: Fresh green
- Total capacity: 15 litres, Storage capacity of purifier: 7.5 litres and Purification capacity: 1500 litres+
- Item Dimension LxWxH: 31 x 24 x 32 Centimeters
- Item Weight: 1 kg 760 g
- Shrink pack size: 4
- No running water and electricity required
- Auto shut-off mechanism
- There’s a Swach bulb that runs for 3000 Ltrs
- Warranty: 6 months on the product;
- Very durable due to its high-quality plastic body
- Translucent body and sturdy design
- Sturdy design
- Easy to use
- Free of chemicals.
- Translucent body
2. KENT Gold Optima 10-Litres Gravity-Based Non-Electric Water Purifier
The hollow fibre UltraFiltration membrane doesn’t let any cysts and bacteria to pass through. There are no such synthetic compounds like chlorine, bromine and iodine in this purifier which makes the purified water a lot healthier and safer to drink.
Water having a TDS value around 750 PPM can be easily purified using this purifier. The Ultrafiltration membrane can filter up to 4000 Litres of water after which you will need to change the filter by either sediment or carbon.
This purifier is very durable because of the ABS food-graded plastic which helps increasing its durability instead of contaminating the water. Its elegant design makes it easier for you to place the purifier anywhere in your house.
KENT Gold Optima does not require any electricity, so now power-cuts cannot stop you from drinking clean and safe water. It is WQA (USA) certified for its quality and performance.
- Brand: KENT
- Color: Aqua Blue/ White
- Material: Plastic
- Capacity: 10 Litres
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 52 x 23 x 28 Centimeters
- Item Weight: 10 Grams
- Material: ABS plastic of food-grade
- Storage Capacity: 5 L- raw water, 5 L- purified water
- Filtration Capacity: 0.31 L per minute
- Maximum Input Water Temperature: 35 degrees
- Ultrafiltration Membrane: 0.1 Microns Hollow Fiber Hydrophilic UltraFiltration Membrane·
- Expected Life of Ultra Membrane: 4000 Litres
- Warranty: 1-year domestic manufacturer warranty
- Free of synthetic pollutants
- 10 L of capacity
- Transparent body
- Ultrafiltration Technology
- WQA (USA) gold seal certified
- ABS food-grade plastic material
- Can only suffice a small family (less than 5 members)
3. Tata Swach Desire + 27-Litre Gravity Based Water Purifier
This unique water purifier is the first of its kind in India. The multi-stage purification is based on gravity which ensures uncontaminated water. The cartridge has an activated carbon filter that removes bacteria, viruses and other pollutants from the water and makes the water, way healthier and safer than boiled water. The water level indicator and the filter cartridge technology functions for up to 1.5 years.
The Desire + cartridge is able to work at a wide range of TDS up to 1500 ppm and a pH range from 5.5 to 9.0. Its anti-biofouling property gives the purifier a better life and the need for intervention becomes less frequent. It runs for 6000 Litres of water. Its advanced technology helps the purifier deliver clean water without exhausting its natural taste and the vital nutrients.
The 27 Litres water capacity makes it sufficient for a large family by providing hassle-free purified drinking water. This large storage capacity lessens the repeated filling up of the tank. The purifier has a high flow rate (4-5 Litres per hour). Once the filtration is done, this purifier automatically shuts off.
- Color: Multicolor
- Capacity: 27 Litres
- Material: Plastic
- Item Dimensions: 46.4 x 37.4 x 30.8 cm
- Item Weight: 3.78 Kg
- Storage: Gravitational purification
- Purification Method: Multi-stage purification system
- Up to 1.5 years of cartridge life
- Capability of working at a wide range
- Warranty: 6 months
- Sturdy build and scratch-resistant body
- Total storage capacity of 27 Litres
- Up to 6000 Litres of water can be purified
- Automatic shut-off
- Unsuitable for salty water
- Non-transperant upper container
4. Eureka Forbes Aquasure from AquaguardAmrit 20-Litre Water Purifier
This water purifier is ideal for a family size of 4-5 people in India because of its 20 L storage capacity. Its transparent body helps to track the water level.
The purification works through three stages in AquasureAmrit. First, the microfiber mesh eliminates physical impurities and bigger particles from the municipality water such as mud, dust or sand. Then the activated carbon trap removes synthetic impurities, bad smell, taste or colour from the inlet water. Finally, the unique Kitanu magnet technique of filtration removes harmful germs like bacteria, virus, microorganisms like cysts and makes the water safe, pure and 100% free of chemicals.
It is equipped with an auto shut-off mechanism which monitors the purification process and shuts off automatically when the useful life exhausts.
This purifier is very light-weight and thus, portable and doesn’t require electricity or running water. It also filters municipality or corporation water and removes all the water pollutants along with bacteria and cysts by lowering down the TDS value to 350 PPM or mg/L.
It’s made of 100 non-toxic, food-grade non-breakable plastic. The twin water chamber gives the purifier a sleek look.
- Color: Blue
- Capacity: 20 Litres
- Material: Plastic
- Power source type: Manual
- Type: Non-Electric with storage
- Type of tank: Food-grade plastic
- Technology: water purification based on gravity
- Item Dimensions: 42 x 38 x 27 cm
- Item Weight: 2.71 Kg
- Warranty: 6 months on product
- No-boiling required
- Simple cleaning procedure
- Non-toxic material
- Three-stage water purification
- High storage capacity
- Not WQA (USA) certified
- The filter needs to be changed after 4-5 months
5. HUL Pureit Germkill kit for Advanced 23 L water purifier - 1500 L
Pureit is one of the most well-known brands when it comes to water purifier. The new Germkill kit from Pureit is suitable for localities with water shortage and electricity issues.
It comes with a capacity of 23 Litres. But you will need to change the filter after 1500 L of purification. There’s no need for electricity and constant water supply to purify water. The multi-stage purification helps remove around 1 crore virus in 1 L water.
This Germkill kit from Pureit is durable; it can be kept for many months and even years because of its ABS plastic build. It’s also easy to carry because of its light-weight. It is also within Rs 500 and is therefore very economical.
The Polisher makes the water tasty and removes bad smell and Chlorine, thus improving the clarity of the water. The Activated Carbon Trap removes pesticides and parasites. The Germkill processor indicates RED when 1500 or 3000 L of water is purified.
- Brand: HUL Pureit
- Color: Multicolor
- Material: Plastic
- Power source type: Battery powered
- Capacity: 1500 L/day
- Membrane type: Micro-Charged Membrane
- Item Dimensions: 36 x 23 x 61 cm
- Item Weight: 330 g
- Purification type: Manual
- Purifier type: Non-Electrical
- Purification Function: Gravity
- Carbon polisher
- Activated Carbon Trap
- Free of chemicals
- Transparent body
- Engineering grade, food-safe, non-toxic plastic material
- 23 Litres capacity
- No warranty
- Germkill Processor
6. Prestige Non-Electric Acrylic Water Purifier PSWP 2.0, 18 L
The Prestige Non-Electric Acrylic Water Purifier PSWP 2.0 is an essential addition to a home and the family's water supply. Not only is the build of the water purifier smart but also it adds to the general decor of the house. The synthetic impurity-free purification it offers assures safe and healthy drinking water for the whole family.
It is easy to install so anyone at home can even do it. The total capacity of the tank is 18 litres where 9 litres is the storage capacity of purified water. The average filtration rate is about 8 litres/hour so it offers enough water for the needs of an average family of four.
This quality water purifier based on gravity in India uses a 2 step purification process. In the first step, a sediment filter is used to remove particulate and suspended pollutants; and in the second step, it passes through FACT (Fibrillated Absorbent Cellulose Technology) Cartridge which removes odour, bacteria, and other such polluting elements.
- The storage capacity of 9 litres of cleaned water; total capacity of 18 litres
- The filtration rate is of 8 litres per hour
- The material is it made with is plastic and the body is transparent
- The power source type is corded electric
- It is easy to install
- It has a 2 stage filtration process; offers purification free from chemicals.
- It has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars by customers
- Removes 99.9% bacteria, virus, germs, protozoa, and cysts
- 1-year warranty and instruction manual with all details
- Meets the water filtration norms of US-EPA standards and NSF 42 standards.
- Cost-effective and affordable for an average-sized family
- Sturdy built and smart design
- Since it is based on gravity, it does not use electricity and thus preserves power
- Prevents water wastage
- It is not the best option for purifying water that has high levels of impurities
- The cartridge must be replaced every six months
7. NEXQUA Dew Non-Electric Ultra Filtration (UF) Based Gravity Water Filter and Purifier With 14 Litre
The NEXQUA Dew Non-Electric Ultra-Filtration Based on Gravity Water Filter and Purifier With 14 Litre Storage and Plastic Tap uses superior ultrafiltration or UF technology where very porous membrane filters are used to physically remove dust, colour, odour, germs like bacteria, virus and cysts.
The water storage tank holds about 7.2 litres of raw water that is filtered through using the UltraFiltration process. It has a hollow fibre hydrophilic UF membrane with 0.1 microns that protects bacteria or cysts to pass through and get into the purified water.
It also has a storage tank with a capacity of 6.8 litres so the pure water can be reserved for later use. It's a smart and elegant design with an overall capacity of 14 litres is perfect for an average-sized family with a purification capacity of 20 litres per hour.
- Can purify 20 litres per hour
- Water tank has a capacity of 14 litres (purified water tank of 6.8 litres and raw water in the upper chamber of 7.2 litres)
- It is made with ABS plastic
- 2 stage purification process with microfilter
- Based on gravity and ultra spun technology
- Uses UltraFiltration membrane for filtration free of chemicals and purification of water
- Warranty of 6 months on manufacturing defect by Nexqua on water purifier filter
- It has a rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars by customers
- It conserves electricity and prevents water wastage.
- The UF purification process allows the water to be purified free of chemicals
- An economically sound choice for an average-sized family
- It's easy to install
- The bottom container of the Ultrafiltration filter needs to be cleaned with the help of the syringe that is provided with the product.
- UF purification may not always filter out minute bacteria and virus, so may not provide entirely precise filtration
8. Konvio Neer Gravity-Based Non-Electric Water Filter and Purifier With Plastic Tap
The Konvio Neer Non-Electric Water Filter and Purifier have a tank capacity of 14 litres where 7.2 litres is for raw water storage. It uses a micro-filter during UF filtration and has a 7 stage purification system to assure clean water entirely free of any chemicals and germs.
The water purifier is non-electric so it is cost-effective and works well in households where there are long power-cuts as the water purification is not dependent on electricity. It will give optimal results and is also effective in controlling bacteria and other microorganisms to assure clean water.
It also requires low maintenance and needs filter replacement only once or twice a year depending on its usage. It's built is quite mobile and can be placed on any countertop adding to the decor of the kitchen.
- It has a purification capacity of 20 litres per hour
- Gravity-based and ultra spun technology; chemical-free purification
- The water tank has a capacity of 14 litres, raw water tank capacity of 7.2 litres
- It has a microfilter with 7 stage purification
- Filter's life is approximate of 4000 litres per year
- It has a rating of 4 out of 5 stars by customers
- Conserves electricity and curbs water wastage
- Low maintenance and requires sparse filter replacement
- A smart design that adds to the surrounding decor
- Uses a 7 stage purification process
- With UF technology, it is not entirely feasible as it may not filter out minute bacteria and diseases.
- It may not be an ideal option for long term use due to yearly maintenance cost
9. RAMA Gravity ECO Water Filter and Purifier 8 Litre (16 Litre Combined)
The RAMA Gravity ECO Water Filter and Purifier are said to be one of the best non-electric water purifiers; it is constructed with 304-grade steel which is of the highest quality. It also comes with 2 carbon cartridges by RAMA which have been made with high-quality materials that remove 99.9% bacteria from the water.
The RAMA cartridge can purify about 8 litres of water per hour. The carbon cartridges assure fast water filtration removing not only harmful chemicals but also bad taste and odour. Diseases such as cholera, typhoid, e.coli, etc. can also be avoided by drinking clean purified water.
- It has a storage capacity of 8 litres (16 litres combined)
- It is made with stainless steel
- It includes 2 RAMA Carbon candles for fast filtration
- Each candle removes chlorine from tap water for 10,000 litres and purifies up to 8 litres of water per hour
- It has a rating of 4 out of 5 stars by customers
- It is made with stainless steel instead of plastic
- The carbon cartridges allow for thorough purification
- The candles allow for very fast purification
- It does not come with a steel tap but comes with a plastic one
- It may be heavier to carry as it is made of steel
- When the filtration gets slow, one has to remove the carbon from the water purifier and place the candle upside down under tap water for a few minutes.
Buying Guide for Best Gravity Based Water Purifier
In this buying guide, We will describe the points that we consider are very important and we want you to be informed while you are buying a gravity based water purifier online.
What are the things one must consider before buying a non-electric gravity-based water purifier?
There are a few factors you have to keep in mind before doing so, and we have listed this in our buying guide:
- Water Tank: The amount of water capable of being stored depends on the size of the tank, so that should be a big factor to consider.
- Built: What is the structure of the water purifier? Can it perform well all that is required of it?
- Capacity: The amount of water the water purifier can hold as well as how effective the filter depends on the overall capacity of the water purifier.
- Purification levels: How precise the purification is, depends on how many levels it went through to get there, another important factor to consider.
- Purification rate: the success rate of purification in a water purifier is self-explanatory. The probability of clear drinking water depends greatly on this.
- TDS (Total Dissolved Salt): The TDS is an integral factor to consider as one cannot drink water that has sold deposits. Salt must be filtered or dissolved for the water to be safe enough for consumption.
- Filter lifespan: Purely from an economical point of view, how long a filter can last, or how long until it cannot safely remove impurities anymore is a factor to consider before purchasing a water purifier as one would need to periodically change it.
- Role of Micro-porous Candles: Ceramic candle filters are simple devices made out of clay and they are used to filter drinking water to remove turbidity suspended materials and pathogens. The removal of impurities takes place by some physical processes such as mechanical trapping or the adsorption on the ceramic candles which tend to have micro-scale pores.
- Size of the purifier: The size of the purifier must be also considered for easy mobility.
- After-Sales Service: Whichever company one purchase from, when buying home appliances, it is important to be aware of how satisfactory and cooperative their after-sales service is, be it for maintenance or a follow-up visit.
- Filter Maintenance: This is important to consider as it could be not only time-consuming but also could burn a hole in one's pocket.
What is a gravity-based water purifier?
Non-electric or gravity-based water purifiers; in comparison to electric water purifiers are far more economical, safe and accessible. If you don’t have an ample amount of electricity to spare or does not wish to, these water purifiers are the most ideal. These water purifiers are best used when sourced from places such as the municipal water supply.
How does this water purifier work?
A non-electric gravity-based water purifier works by using activated carbon or UF (ultrafiltration) that easily absorbs impurities present in the water. The ultrafiltration or UF has hollow fibres in its membrane that allow impurities which are present in the water to stick to it, thus making it drinkable.
In other words, this filters the water through a normal gravity process from a higher point to a lower one rather than using the help of an external force such as electricity. The water that flows from the top to the bottom has either a microfiber mesh, activated carbon or something similar in the middle that catches the harmful particles and then lets the clean water flow down.
To be precise, microfiber mesh is a type of cloth that removes visible dirt and contaminants present in the water. It catches the tiniest of impurities as the technology of the fabric permits it. Activated charcoal modules help in removing impurities naturally and finally, the polisher modules remove any sort of chemical residue left in the water.
Some gravity-based water purifiers come with ultrafiltration or UF too, apart from these other filtration methods. The UF Membrane has pores of 0.1 micron which is small enough that it filters out bacteria as well as other microorganisms like cysts, etc. When buying a non-electric water purifier, one with UF technology is recommended as it is far more effective.
It is advisable to select a non-electric gravity-based water purifier that has not only activated carbon filtration but also UF process for the cleanest water.
Advantages of using gravity based water purifiers:
Some advantages of using non-electric gravity-based water purifiers are the following:
- Does not use electricity
- The best choice for filtering already chemically filtered municipal water
- The best choice for filtering running water as it does not include harmful chemicals such as arsenic
- Better for the environment
- Cost-effective, budget-friendly
- Installation is not required as it is mobile and can be moved easily and can be fitted anywhere
- Best for places where there are frequent power cuts
- The usage of activated carbon is a big plus as it catches harmful particles like organic compounds of chlorine, pesticide and herbicides.
- Maintaining these water purifiers is easy
- Conserves water and does not allow any wastage
Disadvantages of using gravity-based water purifiers:
Some disadvantages of using non-electric gravity-based water purifiers are the following:
- Activated carbon might not be as effective to remove viruses, microorganisms, and stronger bacteria compared to UV technology.
- Non-electric gravity-based water purifiers are unable to remove fluoride and arsenic contaminations.
- Frequent replacement of activated carbon filtration; the activated carbon purification level and time depends on the carbon granules structure. The contaminants that stick on activated carbon reduce the purification power which is why an activated carbon purifier requires frequent replacement.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How does gravity water purifier work?
Unlike most water purifiers, which use electricity for cleaning the water, gravity-based water purifiers purify the water with the help of activated carbon or by ultrafiltration. The carbon particles can absorb the minute contaminants that are present in the water. Ultrafiltration, on the other hand, occurs through a filtering membrane which has pores as small as 0.1 microns.
When to use gravity-based water purifier?
If you stay in an area where power cuts are part and parcel of life, gravity-based water purifiers are your saviour. While most water purifiers stop operating once the electricity supply is cut off, these models won’t as they do not depend on electricity for purification. Furthermore, if you get your water supply from a municipality or corporation, which already filters lead and/or arsenic from water, gravity-based purifiers will be a justified purchase. You can also use it in places where tap water from pipes and fixtures isn't available either.
Is gravity-based water purifier good?
The plus point of a gravity-based water purifier, especially one that uses UF, is that you will get the water purified without any chemicals. Since the water won’t contain harmful chemicals like bromine, chlorine or iodine, you will be able to drink it safely.
How often do you need to replace the water filter inside the purifier?
Water filters inside the non-electric purifier come with a certain level of processing capacity. Normally, you have to change it once a year; however, the replacement frequency may vary depending on the brand. We suggest that you consult the manufacturer regarding the frequency of filter replacement.
6. What are the best brands for a gravity-based water purifier?
A: Here are some of the best brands to consider when buying a non-electric gravity-based water purifier:
The Tata Swach Non-Electric Smart 15-Litre Gravity-Based Fresh Green Water Purifier has a capacity of 15 litres and a cartridge capacity of 1500 litres. It is made of plastic and comes with a 6-month warranty. The silver nanotechnology that it has as a feature effectively destroys bacteria and viruses as per the USEPA guidelines. It removes about 100 crore bacteria and also 1 crore viruses from about 1 litre of regular water.
The cartridge has a long life. The Tata Swach bulb runs for 3000 litres which is one of the longest lifespans in the category. It also has an automatic shut off option and no electricity and no running water required.
The Eureka Forbes Aquasure from Aquaguard Amrit 20-Litre Water Purifier has a capacity of 20 litres and cartridge capacity of 1500 litres. The filter passes water through an intricate microfibre mesh of positively charged nano-fibres that successfully removes any kind of detectable bacteria, virus, cyst or any other microbial contaminants. The purification system comprises 3 stages.
It comes with a natural shut off system which is there to always ensure there is safe water or no water by stopping the flow of water when the cartridge life of the filter is over. It is made from food-grade non-toxic plastic. It has a simple cleaning process - holding it under running water.
The KENT Gold Optima 10-Litres Gravity Based Non-electric Water Purifier has a capacity of 10 litres along with a storage tank capacity of 5 litres for raw water and of course, 5 litres for purified water with a filtration capacity of 0.31 litres per minute. Purification occurs through its hollow fibre ultrafiltration membrane. Nano-silver carbon is also used for better disinfection of water.
Its hollow fibre hydrophilic UF Membrane is of 0.1 microns UF Membrane with an expected life of 4000 litres. The built-in a transparent tank made of unbreakable ABS food-grade plastic. Chemicals such as chlorine, bromine or iodine are not used during the purification process thus providing healthier quality drinking water. It also stands as the ideal for entry-level water purifier.
The Prestige Non-Electric Acrylic Water Purifier PSWP 2.0 has a purification power of 18 litres. You will immediately receive clean water through the 9-litre built-in safe storage holder.
It uses a 3 stage filtration process stage using pre-filter made of non-woven cloth to remove particulate and suspended contaminants. The microbiological fact filter cartridge which powers the fx bio-safe filter provides 99.9999% reduction of pathogenic bacteria, 99.99% reduction of water-borne viruses, 99.95 per cent reduction of water-borne cysts.
In this article, we have compiled the best Non-Electric aka best gravity based water purifier within budget in India based on customer reviews. These appliances have a highly-specialised mechanism to filter pollutants and microbes that can cause water-borne diseases. Drinking filtered water is the primary right of every human being and our aim is to save many innocent lives from unclean and impure water. We recommend the Kent Gold and Eureka Forbes Purifier as these not only improve the water quality but also prevent leakage of water while filtering. Ultimately, choose one that fits your requirements and budget. Do not forget to let us know about your experience in the comments.
Ankita is a full-time Engineer and part-time writer. She is a member of the
Technical Writers of India (TWIN), a association of Technical gurus and Engineers. She also has B.Tech degree in Electrical from Amity University.